"People" names Gwyneth Paltrow "World's Best Dressed Woman" of 2012! We talked with Pamela Edwards Christiani, style and beauty editor of People Magazine about this year's list.
(NEW YORK) - The editors of PEOPLE magazine have chosen Gwyneth Paltrow as the "World's Best Dressed Woman" in this week's special double issue featuring 29 pages of the Best & Worst Dressed of 2012. "She doesn't do fringe," Paltrow's stylist Elizabeth Saltzman tells PEOPLE. "She has a uniform: It's simple, not overdone." Nor is Paltrow a slave to trends. "She goes, 'I'm happy - and that matters more,'" adds Saltzman. "That's what sets her apart from the rest."
In a year that included breathtaking gowns, denim in every color, towering heels, and fashion faux pas, PEOPLE turned to tastemakers, trendsetters, fashion bloggers, editors, and the magazine's 42 million readers to tell us who earned the title of best dressed - and who missed the mark. Whether they follow the rules or completely rewrite them, these stars prove that the most important must-have for a celebrity style setter is confidence. PEOPLE's 10 Best Dressed Women of 2012 are:
1. Gwyneth Paltrow - World's Best Dressed Woman (chosen by the editors of PEOPLE)
2. Diane Kruger - Best High Fashion Style (chosen by Pamela Edwards Christiani, PEOPLE style & beauty editor)
3. Princess Kate - Best Classic Style (chosen by designer Janie Bryant)
4. Emma Stone - Best Red Carpet Style (chosen by Giuliana Rancic)
5. Jessica Alba - Best Jeans Style (chosen by Lauren Conrad)
6. Rihanna - Best Risk-Taking Style (chosen by Man Repeller blogger Leandra Medine)
7. Jennifer Lawrence - Best Under 25 Style (chosen by College Fashion editor Zephyr Basine)
8. Reese Witherspoon - Best Pregnancy Style (chosen by Camila McConaughey)
9. Miranda Kerr - Best Street Style (chosen by Who What Wear editors Hillary Kerr and Katherine Power)
10. The Kardashians - Best Trend-Setting Style (chosen by Simon Doonan)
"Best Dressed Men" honors go to seven dapper guys well suited to style: Andrew Garfield; Brad Pitt; Robert Pattinson; Jay-Z; Chris and Liam Hemsworth; and Colin Firth.
PEOPLE says these "Dress-Alike Couples" have hit a new relationship milestone with their coordinating outfits: Jennifer Aniston & Justin Theroux; George Clooney & Stacy Keibler; Meg Ryan & John Mellencamp; Kim Kardashian & Kanye West; Zoe Kravitz & Penn Badgley, and Anne Hathaway & Adam Shulman.
"Best Gowns" honors six stars that spiced up the Red Carpet with sexy silhouettes, peekaboo paneling, and stunning sparkle: Kate Hudson; Blake Lively; Michelle Williams; Zoe Saldana; Sofia Vergara, and Charlize Theron. "Chic at Every Age" celebrates four decades of fabulousness - 20s, 30s, 40s, and 50s - from 20-year-old Selena Gomez to 59-year-old Kathie Lee Gifford.
PEOPLE also looks back at those fashion moments we'd like to forget with the "Worst Outfits of the Year," chosen by Fug Girls bloggers Heather Cocks and Jessica Morgan, and "Everyone's a Critic," where Facebook followers weigh in on celebrity style hits & misses. "Most Memorable Style Moments" takes a look at the Top 10 headlines that left the fashion world aflutter in 2012, from Miley Cyrus' cutting-edge pixie to First Lady Michelle Obama's blue nails at the Democratic National Convention.
For more fashion highs and lows, check out PEOPLE's Best & Worst Dressed 2012 issue, on newsstands Friday, Sept.14 and visit PEOPLE.com/bestdressed
for more original galleries and highlights from this special double issue."