JENSEN, Utah (ABC 4 News) - A gas explosion broke windows in a quarter mile radius from Adler Hot Oil Service Company in Jensen, Utah.
It lit up the early morning sky Saturday at 12:13 a.m. "I've never seen anything like this before," said truck wash manager, Jamie Cox.
Investigators say gas fueled the blast, which destroyed eight near-by buildings and at least one home in a 600 yard radius of the explosion.
"When it turned light the devastation was unreal. It looked like you dropped an atomic bomb," said business owner Brett Woods.
Jamie Cox says the blast's shock wave rattled him awake in his Vernal home 15 miles away.
He quickly traveled Jensen. "I saw the devastation and it was heartbreaking. There was one home that was pushed about four inches off the foundation," Cox said.
No one was hurt or killed. The timing of the blast saved lives. A cafe across the street from the explosion is often filled with hungry customers.
Business owners are marveling the sheer power of the explosion as they sift through the scattered debris. "It carried insulation a quarter of a mile away so I mean the blast was large-- very very large," Cox said.
Locals tell ABC 4 this same building exploded about two years ago.
The explosion will leave hundreds without jobs.
A gas leak caused the explosion. Investigators suspect it was propane.