WEST JORDAN, Utah (ABC 4 News) – A West Jordan toddler fell 20 feet Thursday from an apartment building window, seriously injuring himself. Police call it an accident, and one neighbor believes the parents are likely not to blame.
What has been home for a family in West Jordan, Thursday became the scene of a serious fall.
“It appears it landed on its back,” said Chief Marc McElreath, West Jordan Fire Dept.
A two-year-old boy fell out of a third story window at the apartment building on the corner of Campus View Dr. & Copper Ridge Dr in West Jordan. The boy pushed out a screen, fell 20 feet, and landed on or around a ground level window well.
Neighbor Stephani Jensen said it was difficult to watch.
“We were actually in our upstairs window when we saw it and I just, having a two year old myself, I know how they climb, how they get up and I’m just, it’s so scary, it’s heart breaking,” said Stephani Larsen, neighbor.
Paramedics performed CPR on the boy for nearly 20 minutes before he was airlifted to Primary Children’s Medical Center.
“It’s a bad accident that happened,” said Steven Milligan, next door neighbor.
Steven Milligan, who lives across the hall, said he doesn’t believe it’s the parents fault.
“I see the Dad with the toddler that fell out of the window all the time, he seemed really caring, very careful,” said Milligan.
He said the windows in their building seem dangerously low to the ground.
“Imagine the bed being over here or imagine anything laying against this and it would be really easy to fall out,” said Milligan.
Other neighbors with little children in the building said it’s made them take a second look.
“The screen is bowing out right here, it doesn’t fit right,” said Lee Belgard, neighbor.
Although it doesn’t change Thursday’s accident, fire fighters tell ABC 4 it serves as a warning to parents to make sure windows in your own home are safer.
“Remember to check those screens, make sure they’re securely in place or child proof locks on windows, so they can’t be opened,” said McElreath.
At last check, ABC 4 is told the two year old boy wasn’t breathing when emergency responders airlifted him to the hospital. They described his condition as extremely critical.