Layton, UT (ABC 4 News) - Winter Recess begins tomorrow, two days early for Whitesides Elementary School in Layton.
A boiler overheated in the school late Wednesday afternoon, causing smoke to fill the building. It is believed a low water cutoff valve may have malfunctioned, causing the boiler to overheat. It is anticipated the boiler will need to be replaced.
At the time the school fire alarm sounded and the problem was discovered, about 30 students and 20 adults were in the building participating in an after-school program.
No one was injured and only the boiler was damaged. No fire was reported.